Dr. Juma Misiko
Director, Institute of Tourism and Hospitality Management
Why provide training in the field of sustainable tourism and hospitality management?
Tourism and hospitality industries are among the world’s fastest growing economic sectors and important drivers for socio-economic and environmental progress. The industries enhance globalization through international commerce that generate foreign incomes for developing nations and create employment opportunities across the globe.
DeKUT, being a Technological University acknowledges the important role Tourism and Hospitality sectors play in national development as envisaged in the ‘Vision 2030’ and sustainable development goals (SDGs). The University is aware of the tourism and hospitality challenges associated with tourists’ demand for ‘value for money’, technological advancements, wildlife conservation, tourist management, innovative tourism product development, destination management, marketing, competition and sustainable utilization of tourist attractions. Addressing the challenges adequately and appropriately will position Kenya among the top-ten long-haul tourism destinations as envisaged in the Vision 2030. The entry of Kenya among the competitively established destinations for instance Malaysia, China, Mexico, and among emerging destinations will enhance the country’s global visibility, destination brand and tourism earnings let alone expanded job opportunities.
The Vision 2030 and the Tourism Act 2011 demonstrate that Kenya’s tourism prospects range from the delivery of superior quality service in high-end accommodation facilities; enhancement of niche tourism product; opening up of more MICE (Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Events) opportunities in different parts of the country; pursuit of product diversification and expansion of tourist source markets. In the recent past, Kenya Tourism Board’s marketing programs have also been extended to the Asian and African market, apart from the conventional European and American markets. Available tourist statistics indicate that arrivals from Asian and African markets are steadily rising. Considering the aforementioned tourism and hospitality challenges together with the existing development prospects, no doubt the realization of the economic pillar of Vision 2030 and the aspirations of the Tourism Act 2011 largely depend on quality education and research in the fields tourism and hospitality. It is on this backdrop the University established the Institute of Tourism and Hospitality Management.
The Institute of Tourism and Hospitality Management (IToHM) has the following sections: -
a) Academic section-provide quality education and research in Sustainable Tourism and Hospitality Management.
b) Wildlife management –Dedan Kimathi University Wildlife Conservancy.
c) The Tourism and Hospitality businesses.
“To be the premier Institute excelling in Quality Education, Research, and Technology Transfer in the field of Sustainable Tourism, Hospitality Management’ and conservation management”.
“To provide an academically stimulating, culturally diverse and quality learning environment that engenders research, innovation and technology development towards producing relevant human resources and leaders in the field of Sustainable Tourism and Hospitality Management” and conservation management”.
The Institute of Tourism and Hospitality Management is founded on the belief that self-actualization, and solutions to global sustainable tourism and hospitality management challenges are attainable through a spirit of dedication, entrepreneurship, self-confidence, determination and responsible utilization of resources. To actualize its beliefs and strategic objectives, IToHM is committed to promoting continuous staff capacity development, enhancing education facilities and systems to match internationally best academic, research and innovative practices.
The ultimate focus of this philosophy is to make IToHM the global epitome of research, academic excellence, creativity, innovation, entrepreneurship and technology transfer in the field of Sustainable Tourism and Hospitality Management.
“Better Education, Research and Innovation through Technology”
IToHM is guided by the overall DeKUT’s core values: -
GOAL AND STRATEGIC OBJECTIVES
The general goal is to promote and continuously enhance quality education, research and innovation, and entrepreneurship in the field of sustainable tourism and hospitality management.
In line with the DeKUT’s Strategic Plan 2014-2019, IToHM has resolved to pursue the following strategic objectives: -
(a) To produce quality graduates in in the field of Sustainable Tourism and Hospitality Management.
(b) To generate research and innovations outputs with impact on the national development goals and sustainable development goals (SDGs).
(c) Promote biodiversity conservation and sustainable natural resource management in the University Wildlife Conservancy to enhance its use as a laboratory and educational Centre as well as it being a sustainable tourism model destination.
Currently the Institute offers quality training in the following programmes
i. Short course
- Mountaineering and Outdoor Expeditions Tour Guiding (three weeks programme).
Aims of the Course
The short course programme seeks to equip trainees with appropriate attitude, practical and theoretical concepts, knowledge and competencies needed to professionally and successfully execute mountaineering and outdoors expeditions.
Program Learning Outcomes
By the end of three weeks intensive training the student should be able to:
1) Exude willingness and ability to guide mountaineering and outdoor expedition;
2) Able to evaluate, reduce and avoid hazards;
3) Professionally guide tourists/guests and market tour guiding services;
4) Provide basic Wilderness First Aid in the event of an emergence during mountaineering and outdoor activities expedition;
5) Promote responsible mountaineering and outdoor activities;
6) Plan, implement and evaluate mountaineering and outdoor activities.
Mode of Delivery
i) Face to Face
ii) Field/outdoor based (Mt. Kenya and the Aberdare regions).
1. Any person working as a guide in mountaineering and outdoor expeditions or any interested in mountaineering and outdoor expeditions guiding.
2. Any other person interested in mountaineering and outdoor expeditions.
- Sustainable tourism & Hospitality Management (Two years)
Goals of the Programme
Broadly the course will familiarize students with the rapidly evolving field of sustainable tourism and hospitality management, enabling them to apply and assess the concept within a wider array of actual and potential tourism settings. The Diploma in Sustainable Tourism and Hospitality Management aims to achieve the following;
1. To develop, among students, a theoretical and practical understanding of issues and approaches in Sustainable Tourism and Hospitality management.
2. To enhance students’ self-confidence and ability to critically evaluate Sustainable Tourism issues, and develop from the ethical, professional and academic perspectives solutions to these issues.
3. To prepare students for progression to higher academic qualifications work and research in Sustainable Tourism, and Hospitality Management.
4. To expose students to the realities of the current sustainable tourism global trends through practical work experience.
5. To provide trainees with knowledge and skills that will enable them effectively take up leadership and management positions in the tourism and the hospitality industry.
6. To imbue the participants with the work ethics underlying integrity, competence and adaptability necessary in sustainable tourism and hospitality industry.
7. To equip potential employees and employers with the knowledge, skills and attitudes needed for effective development and management of high value niche tourism ventures-not only critical to the realization of the vision 2030, but also to making Kenya one of the top ten long haul global tourism destinations by 2030.
8. To create potential for further training in the Sustainable Tourism and Hospitality specialties.
The target group of the programme shall be any of the following: -
- Students from any discipline who wish to start a career in the sustainable tourism and hospitality sector.
- People currently working in tourism sector or other occupations and who wish to switch to careers in sustainable tourism and hospitality industry.
- Managers in any business functional areas who wish to acquire knowledge and skills in sustainable tourism.
iii. Bachelor Programme
- Bachelor of Sustainable Tourism and Hospitality Management (Four Years).
Goal of the Programme
To transform students into competent, skilled and knowledgeable graduates that will contribute effectively and efficiently to the growth and expansion of tourism and hospitality industry through the application of sustainability principles in product design, innovation and development, packaging, marketing and customer satisfaction management.
Expected Learning Outcomes
The graduate of this programme should be able to:-
(a) Demonstrate an understanding of the fundamental theories and concepts of tourism and hospitality operations management;
(b) Design, develop, execute and evaluate sustainable tourism and hospitality management operations;
(c) Create, develop and sustainably operationalize entrepreneurial tourism and hospitality projects/facilities;
(d) Engage in scientific research and the dissemination of research findings relating to tourism and hospitality.
(e) Manage tourism and hospitality operations.
Mode of Delivery
Bachelor of Sustainable Tourism and Hospitality Management shall be delivered through: -
(a) Face to Face (involves physical presence of learner and instructor in the same class-room setting);
(b) Field/industry based.
1. Bachelor of Sustainable Tourism and Hospitality Management
Minimum Entry Requirements
KCSE Mean Grade C+ and C in Mathematics and English or Kiswahili OR A holder of DeKUT Diploma in Sustainable Tourism and Hospitality Management OR A holder of Diploma in Tourism or Hospitality ,or Tourism and Hospitality Management with a Credit Pass from an institution recognized by the DeKUT Senate OR A holder of any relevant Diploma with Credit Pass or any other qualification recognized by DeKUT Senate.
Mode of Study
Four (4) years.
2.Diploma in Sustainable Tourism and Hospitality Management
Minimum Entry Requirements
KCSE Aggregate Grade of C (plain) with at least C- (minus) in English or Kiswahili or equivalent or a holder of a Credit Pass in relevant certificate course.
Mode of Study