Dedan Kimathi University of Technology (DeKUT) is a rapidly growing institution situated along the Nyeri-Nyahururu road in Nyeri County. The University offers programmes at Diploma, Bachelors, Masters and PhD levels and is currently operating two campuses namely the Main Campus along the Nyeri-Nyahururu Road, in Nyeri and Nairobi Campus at Pension Towers.
The University is seeking a suitable candidate to fill the following vacant position.
ASSISTANT LEGAL OFFICER - GRADE 11 (Ref-DeKUT/ALO/2017)
1. Must be a holder of Bachelor’s Degree in Law (LLB) and post-graduate Diploma
2. He/she must be an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
3. He/she should be a registered member of Law Society of Kenya and have a current practicing certificate.
4. At least three (3) years of experience as an Advocate or an in-house Lawyer.
5. CPS qualifications will be an added advantage.
6. Be ICT competent.
1. Draft and review agreements and MoUs involving the institution to ensure statutory compliance.
2. Monitor compliance with legal regulatory framework across the departments within the institution to promote transparency, and protect the interests of the University.
3. To offer legal opinions to the institution, departments and units in the University.
4. Guide the staff disciplinary process, to ensure its fair and right by the law and that both parties’ interests are well catered for. This prevents cases of individual being dismissed wrongly, or the University from being sued.
5. Guide and advice in the students’ disciplinary process to ensure fairness and statutory compliance.
6. Assist in the preparation and interpretation of legal instruments relating to the institution.
7. Assist in preparation of court proceedings and litigation matters relating to the University.
8. Assist in conducting of the annual legal audit which helps in the smooth running and operations in the institution.
9. Assist the Senior Legal Officer on the duties and responsibilities of the Legal Office.
Terms & Condition of Service
Successful candidate will be offered competitive remuneration packages and benefits in accordance with the University’s Terms of Service.
How to Apply
1. Submit four (4) hard copies of the letter of application, updated CV, certificates, and testimonials to indicating full details of education and professional qualifications, work experience, publications, current positions and salary, telephone contacts, names and addresses of three referees
2. Indicate the position and reference number in the letter of application and envelop which will be addressed to:
The Vice Chancellor,
Dedan Kimathi University of Technology,
Nyeri - Mweiga Road,
P.O Box 657-10100,
NYERI - KENYA.
Application and referees' confidential reports on the applicant's suitability for the post should be received on/or before Thursday, 6th July, 2017 by 5.00pm
1. Dedan Kimathi University of Technology is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants of either gender, any ethnicity, persons with disabilities and those from marginalized areas are encouraged to apply
2. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
3. Shortlisted candidates will be required to have current clearance certificates from Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC), Higher Education Loans Board (HELB), Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA), Criminal Investigation Department (CID, Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
4. Applicants with academic certificates obtained from foreign Universities will be required to undertake recognition and equation of these certificates from the Commission for University Education (CUE)