CENTER FOR BIOMASS ENERGY RESEARCH
The center for biomass energy studies (CBES) is an autonomous, self-sustaining body under Dedan Kimathi University of Technology GREEN Institute.
Figure 1 CBES establishment
Figure 2 CBES mandate
CBES mandate/focus includes but not limited to research and consultancy work in:
- Sustainable biomass production
- Sustainable bioenergy systems (SBES)
- Bioenergy conversation technologies
- Biomass based thermal energy systems
- Biomass-Solar Thermal hybrid systems
- Energy management/energy efficiency
- Energy auditing
In as far as research is concerned, CBES specializes in research and development (R&D) in biomass bio-chemical conversion technologies, biomass thermal-chemical conversion technologies, biomass-based chemical production technologies, waste treatment technologies/circular production/economy and bioenergy with carbon capture and storage (BECCS) technologies.
Key research focus areas includes biodiesel, fuel ethanol, biomass pyrolysis and gasification, biomass gasification and power generation, synthesized fuels, municipal solid waste (MSW) treatment and utilization amongst other areas.
Besides research and development, the centre also carries out projects in:
- Capacity development through approved and accredited technical and professional education and skills training, seminars, workshops and conferences.
- Biomass fuels strategy (sustainably managed woodlands, sustainable consumption) development and implementation.
- Biomass based thermal (steam, hot water, hot air) energy systems design, simulation, performance audit and optimization, inspection and certification amongst other services.
- Biomass resources mapping and potential evaluation.
- Biomass projects carbon offset assessment.
- Policy, legal and regulatory support on biomass fuel projects.
- Knowledge management and awareness-raising amongst stakeholders.
- Investment and business promotion along biomass energy value chain.
- Green economy advancement.
The centre consults for government (central and county), private sector, non-governmental organization (NGOs) and donor funded projects.
Figure 3 CBES partners