The Directorate was incepted in 2011 in the University.
To have all operations in DeKUT disability and gender mainstreamed.
To ensure theequality, equity and inclusion of all staff members and students in DedanKimathi University of Technology.
- To promote fairness and inclusion by addressing gender and disability concerns in the University.
- To gather relevant information about students and staff members with disabilities and disseminate it to pertinent sections of the University.
- To identify both public and private partners to support gender mainstreaming programs and promote gender rights of students and staff in the University.
- Facilitate comprehensive and quality services to students and staff with disabilities, including orientation, mentorship and counselling services.
- To sensitize and create awareness on sexual harassment, gender-based violence and the needs of persons with disabilities.
- To develop and coordinate the implementation of Gender and Disability Mainstreaming Policy.
SERVICES OFFERED BY THE DIRECTORATE
- Collaborating with the University administration and academic staff to ensure students with disabilities receive appropriate services to facilitate their learning.
- Cooperating with the administration to remove any environmental barriers that may make it difficult for students with disabilities to access the environment, for example, by providing transport for those with mobility difficulties.
- Equipping interested students with skills to address issues of gender, gender-based violence, sexual harassment and be gender-based violence prevention champions among their peers.
- Liaising with the Directorate of Students’ Welfare to ensure suitable accommodation facilities for students with disabilities.
- Linking students with disabilities to bodies that may offer relevant services, for example,The NCPWD and other organizations.
- Organizing workshops to equip staff members with skills on stress management, gender-based violence and helping skills for PWDs and survivors on GBV.
- Giving information about the tax exemption process with Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) in line with the National Council for Persons with Disability as per the persons with disability act of 2013.
- Providing information on Registration procedures with the National Council for Persons with Disabilities (NCPWD).