To be a cornerstone Department of the rule of Law and natural Justice at DeKUT.
To provide an environment that engenders fundamental rights and freedom while maintaining confidence in the application of the rule of law and natural justice amongst the DeKUT fraternity.
The Legal Affairs department of DeKUT is established under Statutes XVI of Dedan Kimathi University of Technology as set in accordance with the Universities Act No. 42 of 2012 and the DeKUT Charter.
The Legal Affairs Office offers timely and comprehensive advice to the University on a broad range of legal issues and matters as may arise as the University pursues its educational objectives. Further, the department’s activities include but are not limited to:-
- Advising the University and the Council on its statutory obligations;
- providing legal advice to the University and ensuring integration of University concerns into policy and legislation at all levels
- Initiating proposals and guidelines on education in accordance with the Act and other Statutory requirements;
- Ensuring implementation of legal issues in compliance with the relevant legislation imparting on the University;
- Being responsible for litigation matters with respect to the University;
- Advising on International Conventions, Treaties and agreements in which the University is a party;
- Assisting in the preparation, negotiating, drafting and implementation of Collective Bargaining Agreements and Memorandum of Understanding for the University;
- Liaising with other institutions on legal matters of the University;
- Preparing and drafting of legal documents;
- Organizing and conducting vetting of staff members;
The Legal Affairs office ensures that its services are independent, contemporary and of the highest quality.
- Nelius Mwangi
Senior Legal Officer
- John Rukioyah
Assistant Legal Officer
- Esther Kareithi
Office Line: 0707 666 617